[mythtv-users] HD-PVR missing SPDIF audio

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 23:21:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Ken Bass <kbass at kenbass.com> wrote:

> Michael, in the thread you posted you pasted the following from your log:
>
> Stream #0 pid(0x1011) type(video-h264 0x1b)
> Registration Descriptor: 'HDMV' Blu-Ray A/V for read-only media (H.264 TS)
> Stream #1 pid(0x1100) type(audio-aac 0xf)
>
> Did you need to enable audio logging or some other log level to get those
> messages? Did they happen during record or playback? I do not see those in
> my logs so I am not sure if this is an ac3 vs aac issue. And was this on
> your FE or BE?

I believe that is from the backend log with -v record.

If you don't have any aac audio in your recordings you might be able to detect
this with something like:

mplayer -frames 0 -vo null -ao null $FILE | grep -i faad

Anyway luckily the sleep worked for me but I had a few other ideas on how to
fix the issue (outside of MythTV):

1. Try a new/old/different STB.  If you have one that isn't attached to MythTV
then try it.  You could exchange one and it might send audio clearer.  It might
be worse though so that isn't without risk.

2. Using the Myth event that is triggered when a recording starts
create a script that:
  a.  sleeps a number of seconds
  b.  tries to detect the no-audio condition
  c.  if no audio then abort/reactivate the recording (with
perl/python bindings?).

Not sure if you can abort/reactivate with bindings since I didn't
investigate any
further.

Nothing more aggravating than a recording with no audio.  Many times you
don't notice it until weeks/months later when it is too late to try to record
it again.