[mythtv-users] How can I fix over scan on nvidia 9500 GT

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 13:38:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 4:03 PM, John Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:
>> I know there is a big write up about how to do this but I just can not
>> seem to get things to work and was hoping some one could give me
>> something to try.
>>
>> I have an HDTV with a few hdmi ports.  I have a 9500 GT nvidia card and=20
>> am using a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to the TV.  I have serious over=20
>> scan that I have fixed for the most part with customer setting in the
>> appearance section of the set up menus.  This works but is not really
>> what I want.  I got the EDID information when X starts up and created a=20
>> customer xorg.conf file but it did not seem to make any difference.
>
> The first thing to check is whether the TV has a mode where it does
> not do overscan. Sony Bravias do. I am pretty sure my panasonic does
> too. Start here http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/
>
> Other than that option, you can control overscan in more recent nvidia
> drivers, the controls are in nvidia-settings, which has a gui. You
> need to update nvidia-settings to a recent version to gain the
> functionality. on't ask me the versions, I would have to search the
> archives which I am sure you can do too!
>
> The least desirable option from most points of view is to set the
> mythtv gui to fit within the visible area and leave playback
> overscanned.
>

>> Here is a copy of my xorg.conf file
>> # Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display
>>
>> Section "Files"
>>       ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
>>       ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "ServerFlags"
>>       Option      "AIGLX" "on"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Monitor"
>>       Identifier  "Panasonic"
>>       VendorName  "Panasonic"
>>       ModelName   "Unknown"
>>       HorizSync   15.0 - 68.0
>>       VertRefresh 23.0 - 61.0
>>       Option      "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
>>       Option      "dpms"
>>       Modeline    "mytest" 148.50 1920 2208 2052 2400 1080 1084 1089=20
>> 1125 +hsync +vsync
>>       #Modeline    "mytest" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089=20
>> 1125 +hsync +vsync
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>       Identifier  "Videocard0"
>>       Driver      "nvidia"
>>       Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
>>       Option      "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
>>       Option      "UseEvents" "true"
>>       Option      "UseIDID" "false"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>>       Identifier  "Default Screen"
>>       Device      "Videocard0"
>>       Monitor     "Panasonic"
>>       Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
>>       DefaultDepth 24
>>       SubSection  "Display"
>>         ViewPort  0 0
>>         Depth     24
>>         Modes     "mytest"
> [...]

I also own a Panasonic PT-53WX53 rear projection TV.  I have kinda
fixed the over scan problem using MythTV appearance settings.  However
it becomes a little distorted.  I would prefer to fix from an
xorg.conf setting but have not been able to figure out modlines.

Updating to the latest Nvidia drivers with the over scan option didn't
buy me anything.  The horizontal slide bar was already to the far
left, so I couldn't make it any smaller.

Also have never seen this pixel map that people are talking about.
Maybe there is a service setup menu but don't know what/where/how to
get into it.