[mythtv-users] VDPAU Error: DISPLAY PRE-EMPTED. Aborting playback.

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jan 25 00:36:06 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Szpilfogel" <chrisznews4 at rogers.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] VDPAU Error: DISPLAY PRE-EMPTED. Aborting playback.

Tortise wrote:
>> Has anyone else seen this error and found a solution? It only seems to
> happen on my Nvidia 8400GS with GPU G98 and 512MB; my 9300's have no issue.
>
> What's your motherboard chipset

>Interesting question on chipset. It's a Gigabyte board with ICH4 and a P4.

>Here is the complete lspci in case something jumps out at you:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM
Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)

Temperature is easily monitored in the NVIDIA driver GUI under "Thermal Settings".  I doubt its temperature related - you can check
it out there.

Check your BIOS settings make sense.

I append the NVIDIA "AGP" 195.30 compatibles.  (Yes I know its says AGP however it might also apply to PCI, certainly KT333's are
not there they in several peoples hands will promptly pre-empt)  Looks like yours is an 845G and it's on the list.

FWIW I have two P4 3000's running Sparkle PCI 9400GT's fine on a Gigabyte GA 8IPE1000-G Rev 3 and ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.  They run
mythtv as well as more powerful CPU's using PCI-e cards, notably with no detected display pre-emption.

I suggest you ask NVIDIA in their forum and send them the standard debug information they ask for.

The following AGP chipsets are supported by the NVIDIA AGP driver; for all
other chipsets it is recommended that you use the AGPGART module.

    Supported AGP Chipsets
    Intel 440LX
    Intel 440BX
    Intel 440GX