[mythtv-users] Cannot receive 2 muxes (UK)

Stephen Kitchener stephen at g6dzj.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 11:35:57 UTC 2010

On Saturday 23 Jan 2010, Nick Morrott wrote:
> 2010/1/23 Stephen Kitchener <stephen at g6dzj.demon.co.uk>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem - or rather my mythtv set-up has a problem, it cannot
> > receive 2 of the 6 mux's in the UK.
>
> Which transmitter are you receiving from, and which muxes are missing?

Oxford and the missing muxes are B and C

> > I and running Mythtv 0.22 and the video cards are KWORLD /VStream XPert
> > DVB-T cards (Zarlink MT352)
>
> I have 3 of those cards in my MBE - they've been rock solid for nearly
> 4 years now (Sutton Coldfield Tx).
>
> > So here's the information, I have two machines that have the same model
> > of DVB-T cards in them, one machine has Mythtv installed the other has
> > not (as its new hardware waiting for mythtv installation). On the mythtv
> > installed machine, it cannot receive BBC4 on it via mythtv, it gives LMs
> > - Partial lock when trying to tune to that station.
>
> When was the last time you rescanned you channels? What version of
> MythTV are you currently running? Are you in a region of the UK that
> has undergone Digital Switch Over (DSO)?

About a month ago, version 0.22 and not yet - 2011 I think (we are the last
ones)

> > On the new machine I decided to check to see if the problem was the same
> > on that, but this time via vlc, to my surprise I could get BBC4, so back
> > to the original Mythtv machine and I installed vlc there also, and now I
> > could get BBC 4 correctly, but I still could not get BBC4 via mythtv.
> > Each of vlc and mythtv are tuned to the same mux frequency, so my
> > question is, is Mythtv more picky in what it will display, or is vlc more
> > lackadaisical in its criteria for display.
>
> Are you using quick tuning for recordings/LiveTV? If so, turn it off
> and see if it helps.

Not no, and never has been.

> > And more importantly what can I do about it ??
>
> If vlc on the mythbox gives you perfect digital TV, your DVB card is
> performing adequately and your cabling is providing a strong enough
> signal to not warrant checking upstream of your DVB card's RF input in
> the first instance.
>
> You could run scan (or your distro's equivalent DVB scanning tool)
> with a mux config file for your local transmitter, and compare the
> channel settings in the resulting channels.conf file with your MythTV
> channel settings (using the channel editor in mythtv-setup or
> MythWeb).
>
> You can also increase the logging verbosity (backend logfile) to
> include "channel" as that may give more useful debug info.

Will do that.

> > I did read somewhere that on some digital cards there is a option for
> > switching on an on-board pre-amp for the signal, but I have no
> > information about this for this card.
>
> The Nova-T 500 has an onboard LNA that can improve signal strength,
> but I don't think the Xpert cards do.

Hmmm - oh well

> Cheers,
> Nick

Thanks Nick.

Regards

Stephen Kitchener

www.imagebysteve.co.uk

Do not meddle with the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with
mustard

The Difference Between Genius And Stupidity Is That Genius Has It's Limits ~
Albert Einstein