[mythtv-users] How could logging cause myth performance issues?

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 19:44:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Since switching to 0.22, I'd been having frame drops in the recorded
> files
> > (problem was definitely in the recording, not the playback), delays in
> > frontend activity.  The frame drops coincided with frontend activity
> while
> > recording (playing back files, deleting files).  Network showed no
> errors.
> >  CPU usage on backend remained low (much less than 50%) throughout.
> >  Upgrading from weekly 0.22-fixes to trunk had no effect on the issue.
> > Long story short, turning off all logging except for "important" messages
> > caused all issues to go away.
>
> I'm not trying to be rude - but how does one detect a dropped frame
> without logging?

No offense taken.  It was multiple dropped frames, plural in any given
instance, usually a key frame among them.  Visually, I'd see at the least a
corrupted image for a fraction of a second, and sometimes several seconds of
missing or corrupted video and missing audio.  This is why I think it was
received mpeg packets falling off the buffer rather than problems
post-decode.

-Jerry