[mythtv-users] Match display refresh rate to video framerate

Mark Schuren schurenmark at versanet.de
Sun Jan 10 10:29:12 UTC 2010

Am Sonntag, den 10.01.2010, 01:23 +0100 schrieb Mark Schuren:
> Am Donnerstag, den 07.01.2010, 22:07 +0100 schrieb Rene H. Larsen:
> > man, 28 12 2009 kl. 12:17 +0100, skrev Schuren, Mark:
> > > Hi Jean-Yves,
> > >
> > > I followed your suggestions and now use the predefined
> > > modelines from the example I found in the archives of
> > > your site. Still no luck :(
> > >
> > > Here's my frontend log with -v playback:
> > > http://mythtv-users.pastebin.ca/1729349
> > >
> > > It shows 3 playbacks, first with 25fps, second with 24
> > > fps, and the third with a 60i video. Myth still detects
> > > (or calculates) exactly '49.832 Hz' for the 50Hz mode,
> > > and then picks the wrong one ('59.798 Hz') for 25fps video.
> > > I'm pretty sure that is the cause of the problem.
> > >
> > > Here is my xorg.conf:
> > > http://mythtv-users.pastebin.ca/1729357
> > > My TV does not support 25Hz or 30Hz modes, just 24, 50
> > > and 60. But even when ignoring the EDID values, I get
> > > the exact same results :(
> > >
> > > I really wonder what is different between your setup
> > > and mine. I currently run NVIDIA 195.30.
> > >
> > > Mark
> >

> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > I had the exact same problem with the frame rates that you had, and I
> > believe that I tracked down the problem.  It relates to the use of ","
> > as the decimal point in many European countries vs. the way the
> > modelines are parsed by MythTV.
> >
> > I would appreciate it if you would test the patch from
> > http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7874 (which I created only a few
> > minutes ago).
> >
> > It works very well for me.
> >

> This is really interesting. I've managed to solve my original problem by
>
> 1. using the recent patch from JYA (changeset 23030 for 0.22-fixes).
> Myth now also picks an available 49.8xx mode for 25fps, instead of only
> picking 49.9xx or (when 50.0+-0.1 is not available like in my setup)
> 59.9xx.
>
> 2. tweaking my xorg.conf so that the X server ONLY validates the modes I
> manually define:
> Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes, NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes,
> NoPredefinedModes"
> Otherwise I got a bunch of available modes, including a weird 60Hz mode
> that my TV did not like, and which Mythtv often picked for some 29,9fps
> videos resulting in my TV showing "unsupported signal" instead of the
> video.
>
> Actually, after the above 2 changes, I have no problem anymore, and
> automatic refresh rate selection works like a charm for me for any video
> content i throw at it.
>
> Nevertheless, I'll give your patch a try - it sounds logic to me that it
> might have to do with locale setting. Yes, we use ',' as the decimal
> point in Germany... And this might be indeed what makes the magic
> difference between my setup and JYA's. JYA said it all worked ok for him
> BEFORE changeset 23023...
>
> So I'll first revert both changes mentioned above, then apply your patch
> and recompile and then see what happens.

> [...]

Hi Rene,

your patch works perfectly here. I have reverted changeset 23023 and
applied your patch successfully.

With your patch, Myth does exactly what I'd expect even when I have far
more relaxed xorg.conf (more or less default with all modepools
enabled), and even in a German installation with a comma as decimal
point. I've thrown lots of different content at it, and did not fail a
single tim eto choose the correct display mode.

Jean-Yves, can you please have a look at it (#7874)? I think this patch
fixes the core problem (for non-english locale), rather than the
workaround introduced with [23023].

What do other people think? Anyone else tested it?

Mark