[mythtv-users] Myth 0.22 for Comcast Digital in US - how would you build?

Kevin Hill khill at vnetwork.com
Mon Apr 26 14:34:25 UTC 2010

On 4/19/10 2:17 PM, mythtv at derdev.com wrote:
> What technical directions would you take if:
>
> - You were forced to Comcast Digital service (private) with HD

Hi,
Went through the digital conversion with Comcast last year. My system is
old and cobbled together, so with proper planning you could probably
combine my 3 backends into 1 backend. Here's what I have for inputs
currently though:

I have a master backend with has no functional tuner, but was previously
a standalone mysql server and I figured might as well make it the master
backend to offload schedule updates, etc.

My first slave backend has two QAM cards. A hauppauge 1800 and a KWorld
110, or something like that. I've found almost all of my scheduling
conflicts are for OTA channels. A good thing Comcast (at least in
Chicago) did was to put the network HD feeds on shared frequencies, so
multirec lets you record shows on NBC/FOX together as well as ABC/WGN, etc.

My second slave backend has an HD STB hooked up to an HD-PVR with
firewire channel changing. I never bothered trying firewire video
capture, since I already had the HD-PVR. I also have one of the "free"
DTA adapters hooked up to a WINTV 500. Most of the cable shows we watch
repeat so often we only have something record on the DTA every few
months. If you do a lot of live tv viewing, you might need a second HD
STB, but we've had no problems living with just one.

-kevin