[mythtv-users] netflix + myth 0.23

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 8 18:16:28 UTC 2010

On Thursday 08 April 2010 12:08:35 pm Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> The problem here seems to be Linux.  We have frontends running on Mac OS
> >> an even Windows (though not very well in the case of Windows). If runing
> >> Myth & Netflix is really the goal, then I suggest switching the OS to
> >> something that supports both.
> >
> > This is true, I hadn't considered that.  You could easily launch a
> > browser Netflix viewer from MacOS and Windows to support streaming.
> >
> > Kevin
>
> I haven't worked out sound in VMWare but I have run NetFlix Instant
> Watch in Internet Explorer and the video is fine. My machines are i7
> 920 class so gauge your CPU needs, but for compute oriented programs I
> find VMWare (and to some extent VirtualBox) run about 99% of windows
> raw on the same hardware.

Certainly true with VirtualBox. Running PlayON in a VM works as well as or
better than on some bare iron I have tried.

I'm surprised to hear there are problems with sound with VM, I have no
problems with it under VirtualBox. As long as it works under the underlying
OS, it works for the VMs.

> When I get around to figuring out sound it's a very real solution for
> me and what else am I going to do with these old windows licenses if I
> don't run them virtual?

Many Windows licenses preclude running in an emulated environment, and many
are also tied to the specific hardware they were initially sold with.

I feel that morally, if I paid for the OS, whether as part of a machine or
otherwise, I should be able to run it in any way I desire, but I've heard the
MS lawyers disagree with me.