[mythtv-users] General purpose frontend for 300 bucks?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Nov 22 23:51:05 UTC 2009

On Sunday 22 November 2009 16:43:45 Nick Rout wrote:

> > What about the Revo:
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228&cm_re=rev
> >o-_-83-103-228-_-Product
> >
> > $100 less. Granted it has the ION-LE, but folks seem to think that will
> > work OK, and there have been some posts here that seem to indicate the
> > Revo will work well as a F/E only.
> >
> > I'm real close to ordering one, realizing that $200 is not all that much
> > to lose if things don't work out.
>
> Well it'll be usable for SOMETHING, and eBay will reimburse you some
> cost if it doesn't work.
>
> IIRC the revo lacks spdif, which may or may not be a consideration.

I'm aware of no SPDIF, but reviewers have said they can get audio out of the
HDMI port, which would imply digital audio. Of course you have to be careful
of N/E's reiewers.

Even if it were limited to analog audio, I still think it's a good deal for
the money, and as you say, it's got to be good for *something* :-) A
secondary "bedroom" frontend, that might not want digital audio, for $200
seems quite reasonable to me.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org