[mythtv-users] defunct mythfrontend children processes

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Tue Nov 17 20:22:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:31:07AM -0500, Johnny wrote:
> While looking into another problem I have noticed that I usually have
> from 1 to 3 defunct mythfrontend processes running. They are listed as
> children of the active mythfrontend process. I never noticed this
> before in the past. The defunct children are there immediately after
> mythfrontend starts. I have only seen it since I upgraded to Ubuntu
> 9.10 and mythtv .22. Is anybody else seeing this? Is this a bug of
> some sort? Or is this normal and of no concern?

I believe it has to do with MythWeather.  MythWeather launches a number
of scripts at the startup of the frontend that query whatever weather
site it queries.  As best I can tell when those scripts end the process
that was spawned to run that script is not cleaned up (i.e. wait()ed
for).

Are all people reporting this running MythWeather?

I'm not a Myth dev, but this doesn't seem like a big issue to me (I'm not
advocating that it go unresolved).

--
seth /\ sethdaniel.org