[mythtv-users] DISH Receivers and external HDDs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 13 14:27:52 UTC 2008

On Apr 13, 2008, at 7:04 AM, Marc Sherman wrote:
> Scott Alfter wrote:
>>
>> Given that they lost their final appeal in the lawsuit TiVo filed
>> against them, your Dish DVR is most likely going to revert to a plain
>> old receiver in the near future:
>>
>> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/12/1136214&from=rss
>
> Um, the very first Score: 5 (Informative) reply:
>
>> DISH WILL NOT have "to turn off DVR to most of its customers". Anyone
>> using the 622 or 722 (what they ship now as their DVR offerings) is
>> NOT affected. Software was upgraded months ago specifically to get
>> around the patent. If you have a far older DVR, then all this means,
>> is you'll get a free upgrade to the new model, rather than paying for
>> it. A pain in the ass though the patent is, a travesty this is not.

All I really care about is the HD receive capability, assuming the
Hauppauge device ultimately works with Myth. I have a model 722 so I
guess it will continue to operate.

That lawsuit was totally nuts, digital hard drive systems were being
used to record and "time shift" video at least a decade before Tivo
ever thought about it.

That, plus the fact that TiVo is violating the spirit of the GPL (of
course so is DISH) makes the whole thing a "travesty" IMHO. I think
the whole Tivo thing inspired the GPL v.3.

The main thing I've learned from playing with the 722 is that it has a
long way to go before it gets even close to what Myth can do. The
interface could best be describes as "user hostile".

Since the external HDD feature allows the (encrypted) stream to be got
out of the box easily, somebody will probably attack the encryption
pretty soon.

beww