[mythtv-users] Damn you Time Warner

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 9 01:21:38 UTC 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Craig G. wrote:

>    The Telecommunications Act of 1996 (as passed by Congress)  gave
> the FCC
> the powers to preempt the application of regulations that prohibit a
> viewer's ability to receive video programming services over the air.
> Section 2.07 of the ACT  states that the FCC is able to "promulgate
> regulations to prohibit restrictions that impair a viewer's ability to
> receive video programming services through devices designed for over-
> the-air
> reception of ... direct broadcast satellite services ....".
>
>    The Over-the-Air reception devices Rule (OTARD) is the FCC
> enforcement
> of these powers, granting homeowners (and to a certain extent
> apartment
> renters and condominium owners) certain rights to install and
> maintain a
> dish, vhf, or wifi antenna.

<deletia>

I know of one case where a town's attempt to have an antenna removed
was overcome by claiming that it (the antenna) was needed to receive
religious programming, and taking it down would interfere with worship.

I understand the town dropped the case in a second or two. This was a
town ordinance, not a HOA rule.

>    Unfortunately the FCC doesn't have authority over house colors or
> grass
> clippings, so they can't help you with that.

Perhaps you could join a sect that worships purple houses and
sacrifices grass clippings?

beww