[mythtv-users] flash in MythBrowser

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Sun Feb 25 10:23:39 UTC 2007

On Sunday 11 February 2007 16:40, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2007, at 5:53 AM, Bart Coninckx wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > been googling for this one, but to my surprise not a lot of people
> > seem to
> > have problems with this one.
> >
> > Anyway, what's the deal:
> >
> > Mythbrowser does not seem to be able to play Flash files. I saw
> > somewhere that
> > MythBrowser is based on Konqueror, but that one seems to play Flash
> > files
> > just fine.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Konqueror does not support flash unless you DL and install the
> plugin. I don't think *anything* supports flash without getting their
> (somewhat proprietary) player.
>
> There is at present no flash player that is 64-bit, on 64-bit
> machines you have to use the 32-bit version.
>
> (20 years after the DEC Alpha and we're still fighting non-64-bit
> compliant code)
>
> There is an open source flash player, but it doesn't support the
> latest versions of flash.
>
> Basically it's another case of a vendor (Adobe in this case) trying
> to monopolize the world.
>
> If you're trying to use youboob  on mythbrowser I suspect you're
> going to have problems, but I've never tried. No matter what you are
> going to have to either find content that will work with the open
> player or confront the Adobe EULA before you can play flash content.

Hi all,

I just mailed the developper for Mythbrowser and I he confirmed that flash is
not supported in it. Also he indicates that he won't be developping any
further in the near future to this software.

An in between solution might be to use firefox as an alternative browser,
allbeit without the usual MythTV keyboard shortcuts.

Rgds,

Bart