[mythtv-users] MythTV : Thank You

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sun Feb 4 04:46:27 UTC 2007

Brian Schott wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>

>> I've been running Linux machines since 1993 and I still consider
>> myself a "novice", because I've worked with kids less than half my
>> age who can blow me out of the water when it comes to Unix :-)
>>
> You've really been running Linux since 93?  That's like since day
> one!  Or did you mean Unix?  Ignoring the really funky machines, I've
> taken a meandering path from VMS, to Ultrix, to SunOS, to IRIX, to
> Slowaris (Solaris), to Linux (and most recently riding roman in the
> BSD camp with Darwin/OSX :-). I just wish everybody would stop
> fiddling with where they place their stinking config files!
>
> What distribution are most MythTV users running?  I started with
> Fedora, but had a heck of a time every time an update happened.  I
> asked one of our RedHat jockeys at work "how do you go from FC5 to
> FC6?".  The answer was "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be
> sure".  So, I switched back to Debian unstable and have been pretty
> happy since.

I'm guessing he meant unix in general. :)  Linux was pretty much a
complete unknown back in '93.  Back then, all we had were Sun 360's and
Sparc 1's running SunOS 4.0.x.

I'm running FC5 (64-bit) on all of the systems here.  No problems at
all.  I've never had problems creeping up from version to version (I've
done yum-only upgrades, upgrades via Anaconda (the installer)).  Of
course, I haven't upgraded any of my Myth systems yet... :)

Typical Unix admin answer, though, is to nuke it all and start with a
fresh-clean installation.  That way, you have no trailing crap around.
Having come from the SunOS/Solaris/HP-UX 8 & 9 world, that was really
the only way to upgrade due to the rather poor package management.  RPMs
and debs and all of the newer package management only really work if
that is all you use (aka: not installing your own stuff via tarballs
throughout the system), and, as such, it makes upgrading *so* much easier.

Getting back on topic with the original poster, I'd like to add a "Thank
You" in to the mix to everyone.  Everyone from the developers, the
documenters (from all of the How-To's and WIKI entries out there), to
the list subscribers.  All combined, it makes MythTV an excellent tool.
Unlike the original poster, I didn't get my systems up and running in
under a week, but with a fair bit of help from the variety of sources
(primarily the list), I've gotten further than I ever expected to. :)

-Rich