[mythtv-users] so where can I buy a Cablecard Set Top Box?

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 17:07:03 UTC 2007

Victor Perez wrote:
> I just had this thought: what if you just don't get the certification?
> What is stopping open source hardware makers from coming up with a
> cablecard compliant device is the difficulty of obtaining the
> certification so:
>
> - Request the specs, they will give you a fight, on every roadblock
> complain to the FCC.
> - Build the device and don't get it certified, just request a cablecard
> from the cable company. If they refuse, file complaints with the FCC.
> They may say "it's not certified" so what? It should work anyways,
> shouldn't it?
>
> It may take a little bit of a fight but I think is doable. Now, any
> hardware makers up to the task?

Sure, it's doable. But not legal without getting docsis approval. DMCA
issues would be the first to come to mind. If it's not legal, it won't
be available via US distribution.

If it were up to the CableCo's they'd rent cablecards to anyone (along
with a HD subscription). The cabal of content producers is responsible
for the current lack of open access. This is by design of course.

I'm too lazy to google it but there is a docsis spec which outlines the
   various key pair exchanges that occur during handshaking and
operation of a cablecard ... and the STB or display, and any digital
path inputs/outputs of the STB/receiver/router, and any other blah blah
blah. That's where HDCP ties in. But don't worry, it's all plug-n-play.
With  the mothership. And four hands and two flashlights.

<sigh>

--
mw