[mythtv-users] Non-optimal scheduler choices of tuners and channels

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Dec 15 04:02:38 UTC 2006

THE FACTS
I have three program sources: Two cable boxes and one over-the-air
antenna. The antenna has a priority of 2 and the cable boxes have
priorities of 0.

I have given all HD channels, regardless of source, priorities of 2
and the non-HD versions of the same channels -2. I also give HDTV
programs +1 priority.

With these settings, the MythTV backend's scheduler does an excellent
job of optimally matching programs and program sources. It picks the
channel that meets the first criteria in the following list:

Over-the-air HD
Cable box HD
Cable box non-HD

The sole exception to the excellence follows. To wit:

THE SITUATION
Between 9pm and 10pm tonight, I am recording three programs:

9pm-10pm	The OC (FOX)
9pm-10pm	Smallville (The CW)
9:31-10:01pm	30 Rock (NBC)

Each program rule has normal (i.e., default) priority. The
high-definition channels of the NBC and FOX stations are available
through both the antenna and the cable boxes. The CW station's HD
channel is only available through the antenna.

THE PUZZLE
Here's the results in Upcoming Recordings of the backend taking all
these criteria into account:

	PROGRAM		CALSGN	CHANNEL	LOCATION	HD?
	Smallville	KBCW	12	Cable box	No
	The OC		KTVUDT	21	Over-the-air	Yes
	30 Rock		KNTVDT	162	Cable box	Yes

This is not optimal. What *is* the optimal solution is what emerges if
I place a "Don't Record" override on the Smallville entry:

	PROGRAM		CALSGN	CHANNEL	LOCATION	HD?
	Smallville	KBCWDT	441	Over-the-air	Yes
	The OC		KTVUDT	163	Cable box	Yes
	30 Rock		KNTVDT	162	Cable box	Yes

Why doesn't the scheduler figure this out on its own?

Yeechang, who urges everyone to watch _The OC_ again (After two subpar
seasons, this season is as good as the first)