[mythtv-users] Tweaks to playback HDTV

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 14:14:48 UTC 2005

On 6/2/05, Doug Larrick <doug at ties.org> wrote:
> Paul Leppert wrote:
> > Here are some HDTV Performance tweaks I posted about a month ago:
>
> Here is a correction and an addition to the realtime priority stuff:
>
> > f) Real time scheduling of playback thread
> >
> >        Need to do a couple of things to get this working:
> One of the following three is sufficient, in order of decreasing security:
>        1. Use kernel 2.6.12-rc3 or later, and set up RLimits to allow
>           realtime priority as discussed here:
>           http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/131634
>        2. chmod u+s mythfrontend -- this will not work on Fedora Core 3
>           and possibly other distros that use the selinux patches.
>        3. Use sudo to run mythfrontend as root:
>          i. Need to modify /etc/sudoers to add your mythtv user
>                (use ALL option and NOPASSWORD; example in sudoers file)
>          ii. Start mythfrontend with sudo: "sudo mythfrontend &"
> >
> >        At this point the mythfrontend logs should say something like
> > "using realtime priority"

Since using sudo to run mythfrontend as root is the least secure
option on this list, why would you set it up to use the ALL option? If
it were my setup, I would edit the sudoers file to only allow user
mythtv to run mythfrontend as the root user. Are there actually other
commands/applications that would need to be run as root by the mythtv
user?

--Garry