[mythtv-users] Multiple Frontends / Backends

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Jul 1 00:22:48 EDT 2004

I'm still unclear about the frontend/backend separation in MythTV.

Here are two scenarios I'm looking at:

Scenario 1
----------

I have a main MythTV box.  It has a capture card, Ethernet connection,
and TV out interface.  I'd usually watch TV here.

I also have a Linux box in a different room.  I'd like to be able to
watch TV, schedule recordings, etc. there also.  This machine has no
capture card.

In testing out this configuration, I found it's pretty easy to be able
to watch recorded programs.  However, I can't seem to be able to watch
live TV no matter what; it says all inputs are in use.  Also, the
program guide data is blank (it says I should run mythfilldatabase, but
that's already being run on the master server and works there; why
should I run it here?)

Scenario 2
----------

I have a main MythTV box like before.

Also, I have a second box with a lower-quality framegrabber.  This box
is not always on, but when it is, it would be nice to be able to use it
to record lower-priority programs when conflicts exist.  It could also
be used for picture-in-picture, etc.

However, I can't seem to be able to integrate the two schedules.  I
don't want to have to maintain them on two separate machines.  I want to
use make the network be seamless.

So, an overall question: am I missing something here?  Or what is the
point of the frontend/backend separation if you can't watch live TV or
schedule things on a remote machine?

Thanks,

John