[mythtv-users] Wiring for multiple tuners

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 10:18:22 EST 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 09:16, Eloy A. Paris wrote:
> "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com> writes:
> > Stay away from dirt-cheap splitters though. It can host your
> > picture quality. I use a ~$45 4-way amplified splitter from the
> > 'Shack, partially because even a good non-amplified splitter
> > resulted in too much signal loss for my cable box to lock onto HD
> > channels.
>
> What about those of us that connect to the Internet via cable? Is it
> better to split the signal for the tuners and for the cable modem and
> then split the cable that goes to the tuners as many times as you
> want or it does not make a difference?
>
> I mean, assuming I have two tuners, is it better to use a 3-way
> splitter (1 in, 3 out) or is it better to use a 2-way splitter, send
> one signal to the cable modem and then split the other signal with
> another 2-way splitter and send the two signals to the two tuners, or
> it does not make any difference?
>
> I've found out the hard way that cable modems are very sensitive to
> the strength and quality of the input signal, and I would think that
> the less you split the input signal to the cable modem the better, so
> my guess is that the later arrangement I described above is better
> since the cable modem receives a less attenuated signal.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Eloy.-

I have yet to try it, but my understanding is that if you use a
bi-directional amplified splitter, you can safely have your cable modem
after the split.  The amplification helps with the signal quality, and
the bi-directional portion is necessary for your cable modem to be able
to send & receive.

-JAC

-JAC