[mythtv-users] Output with a TV card?

Dane Kantner webmaster at dddane.com
Thu Aug 21 10:01:46 EDT 2003

>I'm considering build a Linux PVR (more like a jukebox, but anyway...),
>I found the ATi TV WONDERâ"¢ VE and it fit what I needed perfectly (PCI,
>RCA video). Now I need to know whether X (or whatever display software)
>can display through it. Everything I found was about capturing video
>with it, not about using it for *output*. Do you know of any software,
>etc to do this?

I think you have a few concepts tied up.  First, video IN versus video OUT.
The ATI TV Wonder VE is a video INPUT device.  It does not, and will not, do
any sort of OUTPUT to a video monitor.  (It outputs sound, but I'm sure that
is what you're talking about).  Therefore, if you "need to know whether X
can display through it," you need to be looking for a video card (AKA
display adapter, graphics card, etc.).  Any computer has one, so you
shouldn't have to worry too much.  Now, for TV display, it is recommended
you have a card that supports XV extensions.  This is where knowing what
graphics card you actually have comes in handy.  Read the list, search
archives, or just install linux on the machine and see if XV is supported by
your card.  Myth will still work without it, it just uses a lot more CPU....

-Dane