[mythtv] hdhomerun tuner locking

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Jul 30 16:21:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 10:52 -0400, Dave Badia wrote:
> Was doing some research on the hdhomerun and how it handles multiple
> clients as I'd like to share it between my prod (23fixes) and dev
> (trunk) systems.
> The HDHR developer’s guide says the api supports locks on the tuners
> (hdhomerun_device_selector.c) and an specific functions for clients to
> find a tuner that is free.  But, in looking at the myth source code in
> videosource.cpp, it appears that myth isn’t using the locking API and
> is instead calling hdhomerun_device_create_from_str.
>
> Curious as to if this is intentional?    Any plans to support using
> locking API in the future?  Would patches doing so be accepted?

MythTV assumes it owns all video devices assigned to it. The scheduler
will record a later recording of a high priority show if it means it
can record a low priority show in that slot that otherwise wouldn't
be recorded. If recorders disappear on it then this could be a bad
decision to make.

But I don't think such a patch would be rejected so long as it doesn't
require a very recent firmware, doesn't break existing functionality
and isn't excessively complicated (i.e. fragile code).

-- Daniel