[mythtv] Myth build system and user docs install. Advice needed.

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 15:07:36 UTC 2007

After some discussion on the -users list I thought I would try to
workup a patch to install the user documentation along with the rest
of myth.

I have a couple of simple questions, and a curlier one that I thought
would best be asked here:

1/
Should there be a "configure --disable" option to disable the user doc
installation? Although I initially thought "of course", may be it
makes more sense to force the docs to be installed as they are less
than 6MB.

2/
The obvious install path is $PREFIX/share/doc/mythtv-XXXX, where XXXX
is the version of mythtv. Is this a reasonable assumption?

3/
Should the version string be $${VERSION} or $${LIBVERSION}, from settings.pro

My initial thought was to create mythtv/docs/docs.pro file to define
what needs to be installed.
"qmake docs.pro" generates a Makefile that has the rules and targets
needed to install the docs, but Makefile already exists, the one to
generate the docs from the .sgml file. So there is a problem here.

Now, the main questions...

4/
What is the best way to deal with the existing Makefile?
The original Makefile could be moved out of the way and be called as
"make -f newMakefile" to build the user docs (that are under version
control anyway).

It seems that this may break some automated processes like post commit
hooks to auto build the docs etc. I would be interested if anyone
knows if this is the case.

Maybe there is some other method using qmake (MAKEFILE = makefile for
example) but this is different to the rest of the build system, which
uses Makefile.

Any ideas, direction?

5/
Ultimately I think it would be nice to serve the user docs from
mythweb, so maybe a plugins configure option to either specify the
docs installed location or to mirror the docs within the mythweb
directory.
Or, as pointed out in the original thread, maybe just a small patch
against mythweb.apache.conf to add directions to setup the docs.
Any preferences?

Cheers,

Roo.