[mythtv] Solution to CableCARD problem?

Tim Moore Tim.Moore at fuzzylabs.com
Sun Jul 8 23:36:09 UTC 2007

> You will never see the BCM7118 on that list. What you will see is a
> product based on it. Same goes for the 7400, which is essentially a HD
> STB (though it still needs a frontend = tuners).

Why should that be so?  Do these devices not meet the CableLabs requirements
in their own right?  I have not read the requirements in detail (it's on my
to-do list...), but as a "Single-Chip Digital Cable Set Top Box" (Broadcom's
words) surely they should qualify for certification?  Devices connecting to
the equipment are external and therefore should be beyond the scope of
CableLabs, just as a TV set or a remote control would be.

I can see them trying to argue the point though, as we know where their
loyalties lie...

> > There is still one small snag. Broadcom doesn't yet make a single-chip
> > system with HD output (although it can downscale HD to SD). I'm sure
> > that can't be too far away, and I have emailed them to find out.
> >

> Be very curious if you get an answer...

I will press them for an answer.  I'm interested from a commercial
standpoint.  If Broadcom, and other manufacturers, can build a unit that is
CableLabs approved then it opens up a huge market for smaller companies and
enthusiasts to build DVRs.  That's great business for them, so I don't see
why they should be obstructive.

> > I think that if the development community can get behind this (and if
> > CableLabs will certify single-chip/board DVRs, as I hope) then MythTV
> > can remain a viable alternative to Vista. If not, then it will surely
> > die as new cheaper alternatives to Tivo become available and more
> > Vista systems get certified.
> >

> I do not agree with this last assessment. If that were true Myth would
> have died long ago.
>
> Different usage pattern and requirements.

Perhaps my statement was a little strong.  However, MythTV is going to be
facing a very different market over the coming couple of years that it has
not yet had to face.  The FCC forced the cable companies to implement
CableCARD precisely to foster competition in the cable box marketplace.  I
think that most people agree that they made a bad job of it, but it will
eventually start to happen, especially as bidirectional cards and DCAS get
supported.  More competition will force prices down and encourage
innovation.  And that will mean less reason for the every-day consumer (or
even casual enthusiast) to look towards MythTV as a solution.  With low
prices and good functionality available in a choice of systems, for many
people it will be a simple choice of either getting their premium
programming or not.

There will always be hard-core enthusiasts who don't want premium
programming, but it would be great for us all if MythTV could meet the needs
of the whole market.

Cheers,
Tim