[mythtv] mythfrontend hogging CPU, PVR-350 tv-out

Ricardo Lugo punka at cfl.rr.com
Thu Sep 28 22:37:06 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have just recently upgraded to mythtv-0.20, and am having some
issues with playback.

Mythfrontend is hogging a lot of CPU during playback even though I'm
playing an MPEG2 recording made by my PVR-350 out of my TV-out. And
I've confirmed that the decoder is playing back the file. Oddly
enough, if I open the Program Guide, CPU usage goes back down to
normal. But once I close it, CPU usage goes back up.

Here are some numbers:

linux-2.6.17.7, ivtv-0.7.1, mythtv-svn20060802
	mythfrontend CPU usage: 1-5%
	dd if=recording.mpg of=/dev/video16 CPU usage: 1-2%

linux-2.6.17.7, ivtv-0.7.1, mythtv-0.20
	mythfrontend CPU usage: 50%
	dd if=recording.mpg of=/dev/video16 CPU usage: 1-2%

linux-2.6.18, ivtv-0.8.0, mythtv-0.20
	mythfrontend CPU usage: 50%
	dd if=recording.mpg of=/dev/video16 CPU usage: 1-2%

I ran mythfrontend with -v all, played back a recording, and saved it
to the following file:

	http://tube.dnsalias.net/~rick/myth-0-20-debug.txt

There seem to be a lot of " IVD: write0 !canwrite" during playback.
Is this normal? Permissions on /dev/video* and /dev/v4l/ are 666.

If there are any tests / changes I can make that might help resolve
this, please let me know.
	- Rick