[mythtv] channel scan crashes with more than one CPU

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Sat Sep 9 09:24:37 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

I got crashes during channel scan with various current SVN versions. I
tried to create a backtrace with gdb, but the _gdb_ already crashes when
I enter the channel scan screen. gdb also failed to load the core dump
that I created when the crash during the scan prodedure happened.

I noticed that the crash during channel scan goes away when I disable
the second CPU core of my Mac mini Core Duo (tested multiple times with
2 cores and with one core). Janne Grunau then pointed be to the taskset
tool, and I can scan without a crash when I run the setup this way:

$ taskset -c 0 mythtv-setup

I don't know if this is a bug in MythTV. I would also like to know if
other users have this problem, too. Well, now there is at least the
above workaround for this.

The rest of the system (Debian Sid) runs absolutely fine, without any
crash problems.

Regards,
Tino