[mythtv] How to install MythTV under SuSE 8.1

swan-1 at ziplip.com swan-1 at ziplip.com
Thu May 15 13:28:46 EDT 2003

Finally I've gotten this in a readable (although I'm not sure
how usable it is) form.  Bug/updates to me, swan-1 at ziplip.com.

--------------------
Ok, I'm not a Linux junkie, or system admin, so please take this with a
grain of salt.  Doing these steps did result in a Suse 8.1 system where
MythTV and MythWeb work.  I've tried MythWeather, but failed to get
that going.  The other Myth packages I've not tried yet.

So, with that said, here are my rough crib notes from a few "reinstall from
scratch" runs at it.  Note that most of the make install's need to be run as
root.

I've tried the MythMkMovie, but SuSE 8.1 has the wrong glibc, and I've not
been able to get the latest glibc to install so that it works without breaking
everything else, so I'll be upgrading to SuSE 8.2 soon.  Please send me any
notes or updates on this so I can make it a bit easier for others to follow.

1) Install SuSE 8.1 and install anything that looks like perl, www, lwp, TK,
TCL, tk-TableMatrix

2) install MySQL using Yast

You might also grab it from http://mysql.secsup.org/Downloads/MySQL-3.23/mysql-3.23.53.tar.gz
or there may be a newer one.

Read /usr/share/doc/packages/mysql/README.SuSE

	/sbin/insserv /etc/init.d/mysql
	reboot

You might have to do: rcmysql start

3)  I'm using DHCP, and don't have a DNS, so, I add aliases to /etc/hosts
(my box is called pvr):

127.0.0.1	dhcppc0
127.0.0.1	pvr

4) If you installed mysql-bench, you can go to /usr/share/sql-bench and run
./run-all-tests

5)  Install libxpat from sourceforge or use the rpm package.

Use Yast to uninstall expat-1.95.4-1.i386.rpm.  Ignore (do not remove) the dependencies.

		http://sourceforge.net/projects/expat/

A link to the one I used:
		http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/expat/expat-1.95.5-1.i386.rpm

Use the GUI file browser browse to the rpm, click on it, and then click install with Yast,
or run "rpm -i <filename>"

"ldconfig -v | grep libexpat" should now show libexpat.so.0.4.0 and not list 0.3.0

6) Grab the latest XML::Twig from http://www.xmltwig.com/xmltwig/ and install it per
README.  Ie:

    perl Makefile.PL
    make
    make test
    make install

7) Now a bunch of perl goodies.  Run "perl -MCPAN -e shell" and do:

Perl gives this message: "If you do not want to enter a dialog now, you can answer
'no' to this question and I'll try to autoconfigure. (Note: you can revisit this dialog
anytime later by typing 'o conf init' at the cpan prompt.)"  I typed no and had it do the
stuff for me.  It seemed to work.  Now, on to the packages...

		install XML::Writer
		install Date::Manip
		install Tk::TableMatrix - used yast to install everything X11
		install XML::Parser
		install XML::Simple
		install CGI
		install Class::MethodMaker - needed by Term::ProgressBar
		install Term::ReadKey - needed by Term::ProgressBar
		install Term::ProgressBar
		install Compress::Zlib
		install Lingua::Preferred
		install Unicode::String
		install Lingua::EN::Numbers::Ordinate

8)  Install the latest xmltv from: http://freshmeat.net/projects/xmltv/?topic_id=868

An early one I used was: http://freshmeat.net/redir/xmltv/12024/url_bz2/xmltv-0.5.2.tar.bz2.
After uncompressing do:

perl Makefile.PL
	Warning: the following files are missing in your kit:
        	t/data/tv_extractinfo_en_clump_extract_1_xml.expected
	Please inform the author.
make
make test
make install

Seemed to work with the missing files.

9)  Get lame.  http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/lame/lame-3.92.tar.gz.  There
may be a newer one by now.

Note: the .rpm doesn't seem to work too well.
Install it with:

./configure
make
make install

10)  Assuming default shell of bash, create /etc/profile.local (and/or /root/.bashrc if you'd
like root to have the same path) and put this stuff in it:

for dir in /usr/lib/qt3/bin
do
        test -d $dir && PATH=$PATH:$dir
done

QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3

11)  Add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf

12)  Download mythTV (finally, yippie!) and do:

	./configure
	make

	edit themes/Makefile:
		delete lines with "strip" in them
		delete Makefile from the all: target
	make install

	check that make install didn't bomb while installing themes

	edit /usr/local/share/mythtv/settings.txt

	chmod a=rwx <video dir>
Note: the chmod makes the dir writable by anyone, so not very secure, but mine is in my living
room and behind a firewall, so I'm not too worried.  Maybe I'm just naive.